Friday, November 10, 2017

Reinventing Mona (Jennifer Coburn) Book Review

2017 Reading Challenge

9. Reinventing Mona by Jennifer Coburn
    Topic/Prompt: book with a character's name in the title

Synopsis:
What's new? Me, for starters... It all began when my job offered me a buyout package. That's when the realization hit: I'm young, I'm rich (thanks to a hefty inheritance), and I'm boring. Things are gonna change-starting now... Building a better man trap... First things first: Exercise. Carrot juice. Straight hair. Whiter teeth. Clothes that fit. But wait-there's more. I'm finally ready to take a chance on love with the perfect guy. He's handsome. He's smart. He's reliable. He's my CPA. Problem is, I'm clueless about winning him over. It's time to call in an expert. It's time to call in The Dog. Down, boy. Mike "The Dog" Dougherty is a man's man. A guy's guy. Okay, he's a chauvinist pig, and his sty is "The Dog House," a testosterone-charged column in Maximum for Him magazine. On one hand, I abhor all he stands for. On the other hand, who better to coach me? So here I am. Learning the complex unspoken language of the American male (Talk, bad. Sex, good.); trying exciting new things (Stripping lessons are empowering. Really.); falling for Mike. Uh oh. But the Mike I'm getting to know is different from The Dog. And the Mona I'm becoming isn't quite who I expected, either. This whole makeover scheme is getting crazier by the minute. But "crazy" beats "boring"...right?

My Review:
First and foremost, the writing style used in this story was a bit different than what I am used to. It was also hard to get into the story as well. This is a book with a lot of sarcastic humor.

After Mona accepts a buyout package from her work, she decides that it's the perfect time to reinvent herself. Mona chooses a few areas of her life to focus on. She sets goals to accomplish new changes in those areas, kind of bucket list style. To help get a man to like her, Mona hires a coach, a man who writes a column on what men want from women. Mike is a chauvinistic man who guides her along the way, even though he's one of those characters you love to hate. She steps out of her comfort zone and tries to figure out who she really is. We meet some interesting characters throughout, who also try to contribute to see where and how she can make changes in her life. Mona realizes that the perfect man she thought she wanted was not the type of man she wanted in the end.

The story was just alright. It didn't hold up to its potential. While I was disappointed overall in the story, I did like the premise of the story of reinventing yourself. It's never too late to make changes in your life, figure out you are meant to be. However, I think it's important to make those changes for yourself and not for some guy or anybody else. Stay true to yourself and anything can happen. It's never too late to chase and follow your dreams.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

~Meg~

1 comment:

  1. This is a familiar trope. I've seen the movie version a few times. (Hallmark Channel has done a few iterations of it.) I can see how it would grate. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete