Friday, August 21, 2015

The Great Gatsby Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge
17. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
      Theme/Topic: a book you had to read in school but didn't (like)
Note: I changed this one by doing didn't like rather than didn't read because I read the books that I had to for school.
 

Synopsis: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted “gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession,” it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.

My Review:
First, I'm going to explain why I didn't really like this book the first time around. It was a summer reading book that I had to read for freshman English, if I remember correctly. And I think that was exactly why I didn't enjoy the story - knowing that I was going to be tested on this when I went back to school that September. 

I can say that I liked it much better than I did back in high school. Classics are good to read in high school, but they're easier to understand when you read them in your 20s and 30s in my opinion. Nick Carroway's character reminds me of being the third wheel in a way=as a supporting character so to say. Obviously, I liked Jay and Daisy's love for one another, which had an unfortunate ending. I really didn't care for Daisy's husband - I found it odd that it was okay for him to have a mistress, but didn't like that Daisy fell for Jay. 

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg


 

No comments:

Post a Comment