Saturday, October 10, 2015

The Magnificent Ambersons Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge

21. The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington
      Theme/Topic: a Pulitzer Prize winning book (1919)


Synopsis:
The Magnificent Ambersons chronicles the changing fortunes of three generations of an American dynasty. The protagonist of Booth Tarkington's great historical drama is George Amberson Minafer, the spoiled and arrogant grandson of the founder of the family's magnificence. Eclipsed by a new breed of developers, financiers, and manufacturers, this pampered scion begins his gradual descent from the midwestern aristocracy to the working class.

My Review:
Even though this is considered to be a classic, I had never heard of it before. I simply googled what book won the Pulitzer Prize and came across The Magnificent Ambersons. When I found it was free in the Kindle store, I decided to choose this one to read.

However, just because I chose it doesn't mean I liked it. I ended up being disappointed in the novel unfortunately. I thought it actually started out with so much promise and potential. As the story went along, it started to slow down dramatically. Not to mention at times that it seemed like some information was unnecessary to the story in my opinion. George is nothing but a spoiled brat in the beginning as a child and he continues to essentially keep getting his way as he grows into adulthood. I didn't like that he sabotaged his mom's relationship with Lucy's dad. Regardless whether George like him or not, his mom does deserve to be happy and move on with her life after her husband dies.

The Magnificent Ambersons is a historical novel of a poignant time in social society of America, particularly in the Midwest. It works to prove how fortune can diminish as society grows, or in this case, how a town slowly turns into a city. And that fortune can't always get what you want (in George's case).

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment