Saturday, January 16, 2016

Falling Women and Other Stories Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge

40. Falling Women and Other Stories by Ellen Herbert
      Theme/Topic: book by a female author


Synopsis:
A collection of short stories about families in turmoil and children in peril, from a homeless mother forced to put her son in foster care to a suburban mother afraid of passing her water phobia to her son. Braxton, North Carolina is the where in these stories, an imaginary coastal town adjacent to Camp Corregidor, a stopover for recruits on their way to Vietnam and later to Iraq. Braxton is the home front, where citizens battle alcoholism, marital breakups, and scandal. In Braxton, when a sister or father does wrong, the whole family shares the blame. Even Braxton's babysitters are dangerous, snooping, stealing secrets - and husbands. But love abounds. Sisters driven apart by scandal reunite when their father remarries. The babysitter who ran off with the mayor is welcomed back into her family when she returns to Braxton pregnant. A woman on the verge of being committed to an asylum for alcoholism is pulled back from the brink by a devoted friend.

My Review:
If I'm going to be honest, I have to say that this is the first time that I get to review a family member's book as this is my aunt. Regardless, I'm going to do this like any other book review.

Falling Women and Other Stories is a collection of twelve short stories. I enjoyed a few. I thought they were compelling and some were funny. A couple others just weren't my cup of tea. With those, I thought they dragged just a bit and lacked interest.

Instead of reviewing each story individually, I'm going to list them all and point out my favorites:

The World as I Know It
When the Forsythia Blooms
Higher Ed
The Calling
Jazzland
The Yellow Sneakers
Falling Women
The Hurdlers
Prodigal Pirates
Goalkeeping
The Bad Thing That Happens to Good People
To Hold But Not Touch

I've listed them in the order that they are in the book. The ones highlighted in blue are the ones I enjoyed the most.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥




No comments:

Post a Comment