Friday, June 5, 2015

Author Spotlight: Louisa May Alcott

Author Spotlight

Louisa May Alcott


Louisa May Alcott was an American classic novelist.

She's best known for Little Women, Little Men, and Jo's Boys.

Featured on Jeopardy a few days ago. The question (not phrased exactly) was what book was Good Wives the sequel to? with the answer being Little Women.

Of course, I had to look it up because I never heard of Good Wives before. This brings me to a fun fact this week.

Fun Fact: Good Wives is considered to be the second part of Little Women. It came out separately at first, but after awhile, it was published with Little Women. I never knew that and I even did a report on Louisa May Alcott in my freshman English class in high school.

Louisa May Alcott was born in the Germantown section of Philadelphia, PA. When she was born, Germantown was not actually part of Philly at that time - it's a neighborhood not too far from where my own neighborhood in Philly is.

She grew up in Boston and lived there until she died of health complications.

The Alcott family home is where Little Women is set, as well as where Louisa wrote the book and it's based loosely on Louisa's childhood with her sisters.

You can visit the Alcott family house, Orchard House in Concord, Massachusetts.

Photo credit goes to the Orchard House website, linked up above.

Little Women was one of my favorite childhood books that I read. I've recently got Little Men and Jo's Boys and I can't wait to read all three again.

What is your favorite childhood book/books?

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥

No comments:

Post a Comment