Tuesday, December 22, 2015

An Irish Country Doctor Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge

32. An Irish Country Doctor by Patrick Taylor
      Theme/Topic: book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit (Ireland)


Synopsis:
Barry Laverty, M.B., can barely find the Northern Ireland village of Ballybucklebo on a map when he first sets out to seek gainful employment there. But Barry jumps at the chance to secure a position as an assistant in a small rural practice. At least until he meets Dr. Fingal Flahertie O'Reilly. The older physician has his own way of doing things. At first, Barry can't decide if the pugnacious O'Reilly is the biggest charlatan he has ever met or the best teacher he could ever hope for. Through O'Reilly, Barry soon gets to know all of the village's colourful and endearing residents and a host of other eccentric characters who make every day an education for the inexperienced young doctor. Ballybucklebo is a long way from Belfast, and Barry is quick to discover that he still has a lot to learn about country life. But with pluck and compassion, and only the slightest touch of blarney, he will find out more about life--and love--than he ever imagined back in medical school.

My Review:
This was a great and entertaining as well. I thought Fingal was hardcore and abrasive at first. Although, I have to say that I liked how he had a rough exterior, but passionate on the inside. There's nothing wrong with being that way, especially with doctors in a way, because I'm sure that they've seen it all. I enjoyed the relationship between an experienced older doctor (Fingal) and a fresh young doctor (Barry). Most young doctors can act like hotshots, but Barry didn't come across that way. Barry seemed to be very passionate about his line of work. He offered up a new perspective in Fingal's office (and house visits) and able to pick up on things if it just happened to be overlooked by Fingal. It was interesting getting to know the people of Ballybucklebo.

It's no secret that An Irish Country Doctor takes place in Ireland. I have always liked to travel and see new places. There are a lot of places that I would like to visit, but Ireland is at the top of my list. I am Irish on my mother's side and that's one of my reasons I want to visit Ireland. I've always heard and seen that Ireland's such a lovely country.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥

No comments:

Post a Comment