Sunday, December 20, 2015

It's Christmas Time; Sunday Funday

It's Christmas Time

Christmas is a few days away. Christmas has always been my favorite time of year for many reasons. Through the years, I have a lot of fond memories of the holiday season. Growing up, my family always started out Christmas day by going to Church first. After eating breakfast and sometimes waiting for my dad to get there, it was finally time to open up gifts from Santa and of course, my parents. My parents got divorced when I was little and even though my brother and I lived with our mom, we still got to see dad practically every day, even if for a few hours. I think they wanted us to have a normal life as possible, so things were a little bit different in our case. After we opened our gifts, we could play for a little while. In the afternoon (or at night), it was time to go to grandma's. Of course, there were more gifts to open. All the grandchildren would have a stocking overflowing with all kinds of things, including fruit. However, we also got to spend time with our aunts, uncles and cousins and just have a lot of fun.

My one aunt threw a Christmas party every year for the entire family. Usually held between Christmas and New Year's, it was one of the times that everybody came together. Obviously, my aunt had a gift for every great niece and nephew (since I'm talking about my generation). When we were young, our parents would actually get a gift and then act like it came from my aunt. That way, each of us kids got what we wanted. After reaching a certain age, my aunt would give us money each year until we would get married. When it came to opening gifts, we had to go in order from youngest to oldest. Every year, without fail, my aunt would mess my birthday/age with my cousin Brian. We were both born in the same year, but he was born a couple months later than me, making him younger.

Christmas Tag Time

1. What is your favorite Christmas movie? There's so many, so I'm just going to name a few: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation; Elf; White Christmas; Christmas in Connecticut; I'll Be Home for Christmas; Miracle on 34th Street (the original one); Smoky Mountain Christmas. Also Timmy's Gift, a Precious Moments Christmas movie, and Frosty the Snowman, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer,

2. Do you open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Christmas morning growing up, but now it's in the afternoon when family comes over.

3. Favorite Christmas memory? Mentioned that above before starting this tag.

4. Favorite festive food? It's not really festive, but we make pumpkin bread and cranberry bread for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I would say that.

5. Favorite Christmas gift? It would be a few years ago when I got a kindle. I love to read and wasn't expecting that. I believe it was also the first Christmas without my grandma and getting something big like that made me feel special.

6. Favorite Christmas scent? The smell of the Christmas tree, but I'm also allergic to that so it goes both ways.

7. Do you have any Christmas traditions? Not really, just that it's family time.

8. What tops your tree? angel

9. As a kid, what was the one gift you always asked for, but never received? I don't know, but I've always been happy with what I've gotten.

10. What's the best part about Christmas for you? Just spending time with my family. Christmas is also my cousin's birthday so it's always been special to us.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite Christmas song?
Answer: I have a few, but most definitely O Holy Night; Believe by Josh Groban; My Grown Up Christmas List; and Not Far Apart by Ryan Kelly - it's a song about knowing that our loved ones who have died are always with us and watching us from heaven and they're not far apart from us.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

♥Meg♥

No comments:

Post a Comment