Monday, January 5, 2015

2014 Book Reviews Part 1 (and yes I realize it's 2015)

As promised, I'm going to review the 12 books I read in 2014. I'm going to split it up in two parts - the first six today and the other six tomorrow. I originally planned to do this on Saturday, but I ended up being sick and anyway, here it is. I'm going to link each book to amazon, so you see if you want to see what it's about. Remember, these are only my opinions and since it's being done so late (and a good majority I read in the beginning of 2014), I'm not going to go into too much detail. I will do that, though, in reviews that I do for any books I read in 2015.

1. Cutting Edge by Robert W Walker

While the concept and idea seemed good to me at the time, it turned out not to be. It was confusing at times and slow progressing at others.



http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Edge-Stonecoat-Robert-Walker/dp/1493607049/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420493097&sr=8-2&keywords=cutting+edge+by+robert+w+walker


2. Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

Great read all around. I wasn't sure how it would be when I first started reading it, but I ended up enjoying it. One of Charles Dickens' best books ever written. I kind of felt a connection to Arthur. It really showcases how one thing can impact everything and everyone else.



http://www.amazon.com/Little-Penguin-Classics-Charles-Dickens/dp/0141439963/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420493435&sr=1-1&keywords=little+dorrit


3. Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares

Please note that this book is a sequel in the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series (three books) and continues the story 10 years after it left off in the third book. As a fan of the series, I found this book to be one of the best books I read in 2014. It shows how time changes people and bonds they once had. Going from teenagers to adulthood is an important step everyone must face in life, but it's also really hard. As careers start to blossom and thoughts and feelings change, you may not be as close as you were to those you were close to as teens. Obviously, friendships should be able to endure through everything and anything thrown its way and it can indeed, but sometimes it has to go off course for a little while to make a friendship that much stronger. That's kind of exactly what this story showcases. It also deals with mature issues that I never saw coming with Tibby especially. I don't want to go in detail to ruin it for anybody, but I will say that this was once again, a great read all around.



http://www.amazon.com/Sisterhood-Everlasting-Ann-Brashares/dp/0385521235/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420493780&sr=1-1&keywords=sisterhood+everlasting


4. A Chorus Lineup by Joelle Charbonneau

I was drawn to this book in a bookstore in a way due to being a fan of the hit tv show, Glee. This is a glee club mystery story and since I have been doing theatre and shows for eight years now I believe, I found myself interested. I didn't realize at the time that it was part of a series of books. This is not the first book in the series, but besides that, it was still a good read and it didn't really matter that I didn't read the first book before this one. It progressed and flowed really good and that is why I believe I enjoyed it so much.



http://www.amazon.com/Chorus-Lineup-Glee-Club-Mystery/dp/0425252493/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420494337&sr=1-1&keywords=a+chorus+lineup


5. The Stanger by Albert Camus

I found the story to be just okay. It wasn't a favorite read of mine, but Albert Camus did a nice job of telling the story anyway. It just didn't strike my fancy.



http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Albert-Camus/dp/0679420266/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420494677&sr=1-7&keywords=the+stranger


6. Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Great story telling by Jonathan Swift. In a weird sense, I happened to like this book when I thought it was kind of different in the beginning. Jonathan Swift did an excellent job of keeping the story going. My only complaint was not always being able to pronounce all the fictional names/places that were made up in the book.



http://www.amazon.com/Gullivers-Travels-Dover-Thrift-Editions/dp/0486292738/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420494820&sr=1-1&keywords=gulliver%27s+travels


This brings me to the end of part one. Stay tuned for part two tomorrow.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg



No comments:

Post a Comment