Thursday, March 26, 2015

Author Spotlight: J. K. Rowling

Author Spotlight Week 6

J. K. Rowling


Joanne Rowling, better known for using the pen names J. K. Rowling and Robert Galbraith, is a British author. She is best known for writing the Harry Potter series. In addition, she has written three books for adults and some other books. The Harry Potter series is the bestselling book series in history. The movie adaptations of the book are also the highest-grossing film series in history. Joanne even got in on the movie action by being a producer on the final two installments. J. K. Rowling is the United Kingdom's best selling living author. She also is known for supporting several charities including Comic Relief, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Great Britain (which her mother had for ten years), One Parent Families (also known as Gingerbread, and Lumos. With the success of Harry Potter, Joanne created a website called Pottermore for anything and everything to do with Harry Potter. As most of you already know, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was created at Universal Studios Orlando. 

In the past couple of years, J. K. Rowling came out with two statements about Harry Potter. The first one I'm going to talk about is that she stated she made a mistake by putting Hermionie and Ron together, instead of Hermionie having a relationship with Harry. I think I'm one of a few that disagrees. I rooted for Harry to have a relationship with Ginny and was happy when they did end up together. Ginny is the character that I related to the most throughout the series, as she has similarities with some of my character traits. Because I wanted Harry with Ginny, I was equally happy when Ron and Hermionie ended up together. 
Just yesterday, I read that Joanne stated that Dumbledore's character was gay. Looking back on it, we didn't really find out too much about Dumbledore as other characters were more important in the series. It pleases me that he was intended to be gay, not that it really matters.

I had no interest in reading Harry Potter when the first book came out. In 7th or 8th grade (I forget which nowadays), I had to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for school (and not as a summer reading assignment, but as a class requirement). I actually didn't like it at all in the beginning, but came to like it by the end. Science fiction really wasn't my thing until we had to read this book. I will say that I believe that the books got better as they went along and the first one, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, went slower than the others. However, I think that the movie version of Sorcerer's Stone was one of the better HP movies. All the movies were great, but obviously had to cut a lot of stuff from the books out, but the first one I thought really didn't cut too much out.

More information can be found at:
J. K. Rowling website: www.jkrowling.com
www.pottermore.com
www.universalorlando.com /harry potter
twitter: @jk_rowling 
Facebook page under her name


The charities:
www.comic relief.com
www.opfs.org.uk
www.mssociety.org/uk
www.nationalmssociety.org
www.wearelumos.org

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment