Friday, March 13, 2015

Author Spotlight: Karen Kingsbury

Author Spotlight Week 4

Karen Kingsbury



Karen Kingsbury is an American Christian and inspirational novelist. There are nearly 25 million copies of her books in print and she has been on the USA Today and the #1 New York Times bestselling list numerous times. In addition to writing, Karen is also a motivational and public speaker for women. She can also be heard on the radio on The Karen Kingsbury Show (Salem radio) from 2-7pm CST on weekdays - I will provide the link to this below. Karen lives in Nashville, TN with her husband Don and their five children, three of whom were adopted from Haiti.

There are not many Christian novelists around today, but Karen Kingsbury is fortunate to be one of those who is around. I've read many of her books during the past several years and by this time, I forget what book I read first. But I do know this - I've never read a book of hers that I didn't like. What I like about Karen's books is that she puts the characters through everyday situations/problems that every person goes through, but is still able to keep to Christian values while going through them. It's impossible for me to choose a favorite book or series that I've read from Karen Kingsbury.

One of my favorite series of hers would be the 9/11 Series. Obviously, it's a fiction series based on 9/11 events. 9/11 was the worst tragedy that I've been through and that happened in my lifetime. Like everyone else in the US, the East Coast especially, I woke up on September 11, 2001 like any other day. Since I am on the East Coast, I was in school when the planes struck the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon, and a field in PA. We were released early and sent home and by the time I got home, the towers had already fallen. I was a freshman in high school and the school year had literally just started. Being a freshman, I didn't really know anyone yet (granted 9/11 was only supposed to be our second full day of school), but an event so tragic ended up bringing us together, as a school community, as well as the country.

In 2001, I had been dealing with a lot and going through rough times, 9/11 included. It broke my heart knowing how many people died in that tragedy and how many people it affected. I am from Philadelphia, PA and all three places hit are not that far from me. And I couldn't help thinking that it could have happened in my hometown. You just don't know. The point of all this is that even though the events of 9/11 are sad/tragic/devastating, it also made me appreciate life more and what I had more. And that family is important because you never know when they can be taken from you.

Hope you have enjoyed this.

More information can be found at:
Karen's website: http://www.karenkingsbury.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorKarenKingsbury?ref=br_tf
Twitter: @KarenKingsbury
Karen's radio show can be heard here: http://www.todayschristianmusic.com/

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥

No comments:

Post a Comment