Tuesday, February 23, 2016

A Separate Peace Review

Writing Tuesday

2016 Reading Challenge

8. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
    Topic: a book you haven't read since high school


Synopsis:
Set at a boys boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

My Review:
Since I last read this in high school, my opinions and thoughts have changed. Back then, I remember I didn't really like it. I thought it was slow and boring, but then again, I was only a teen who knew I would be tested on it.

Reading it now, my perspective is different. I love reading for fun, choosing a book that I want to read on my own. Anyway, I found it to be more enjoyable. Phineas and Gene have a friendship like no other. Gene is more laid-back and studious, while Phineas is more adventurous and pushes the boundaries. I liked how Phineas takes Gene along an adventurous ride, letting him know that you can still have fun and get good grades at the same time. Then something happens (you know I can't give it away) and instead of breaking them apart, it kind of brings them closer together. Yes, they have their issues after that moment, but they conquer through until the end. 

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment