As I was preparing to start doing the author spotlight again yesterday, news came in of Harper Lee's passing. Even though I had another author in mind, I decided to hold off a day and dedicate this week's author spotlight to Harper Lee instead.
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books of all-time. I read it in 7th grade so I would have been about 13. Harper Lee brought to us Atticus Finch, Scout and several other good characters. Atticus Finch, in my opinion, is one of the greatest literary figures/heroes of all-time. Harper Lee published her second novel, Go Set a Watchman, last year even though it was written years ago. It was thought to be the sequel, but was later found out to be the first draft, of To Kill a Mockingbird.
Did You Know?
To Kill a Mockingbird Edition
2. Won the Pulitzer Prize in 1961 just one year after publication
3. Classic of modern American literature
4. Lee was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom
5. Deals with adult attitudes of race and class in the South of the
6. Based loosely on Lee's observations and an event that took place
where she grew up in Alabama.
7. Gregory Peck is known for his role of Atticus Finch, of which he
won an Oscar.
Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!