Monday, April 27, 2015

Guys and Dolls, an A to Z Challenge Extra

After completing all my theatre posts throughout this month, I realized that I forgot to do one show I was in. For the letter G, I decided to do it on "The Giving Tree" instead (which was a great post by the way), not realizing at the time, I was omitting one of my favorite shows I was in, Guys and Dolls. So this is an extra post for the A to Z Challenge.

My theatre company did the musical Guys and Dolls back in 2013. For once, I wasn't in chorus and I actually had a "name". I played Agatha, who is a member of the Save-a-Soul Mission band. Saying this, I had four lines during the show, which was pretty awesome, but made me a little nervous. That's why it is one the best shows I've been in. I would rather have lines than singing, but it's all good either way.

Synopsis: In New York, the smalltime gambler Nathan Detroit has been eloping from getting married with his girlfriend Adelaide for fourteen years. Nathan needs one thousand dollars in advance to rent a place for the crap game but neither he nor his friends Nicely-Nicely Johnson and Benny Southstreet can afford. Nathan decides to bet against the gambler Sky Masterson, challenging him to have a dinner in Havana with a woman of his choice. Sky accepts the bet and Nathan chooses the prude Sergeant Sarah Brown, who runs a mission for sinners. Sky visits Sarah and invites her to have dinner with him in Havana; in return, he would bring one dozen sinners to the mission. Sarah refuses the deal, but when General Cartwright comes to New York to shutdown the mission, Sarah feels that the only chance to keep the mission operating is accepting Sky's invitation. They travel to Havana and fall in love with each other; but when they return to the mission, Sarah discovers that Nathan used the place for his crap game. Further, she believes that Sky has plotted the scheme to use her. Now Sky has to convince the gamblers and gangsters that arrived in New York to the crap game that they should go to the mission to help Sarah.

This is me (in the middle) in a scene with other mission members.
I liked my costume, except for the hat ; )




 On the left is me with two cast members. On the right is a scene from the show (I'm holding the book)

On the left, we're "Rocking the Boat" and the right, is the last scene.





Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥

2 comments:

  1. I love plays and musicals. My niece was in this one!

    Elizabeth Mueller
    AtoZ 2015
    My Little Pony

    ReplyDelete