Friday, July 31, 2015

A Game of Thrones Book Review

Instead of Writing Tuesday this week, I have decided to go with a book review.

2015 Reading Challenge

14. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
      Topic/Theme: book based on or turned into a tv show


Synopsis:
Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun.
As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honor weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty. The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.


My Review:
Where can I start a review when there was so much going on? I've been reflecting a lot on this answer. I'm not a huge fantasy reader (except for Harry Potter of course), but then again, there are always exceptions. I wanted to read this book not just for the sake of the Reading Challenge, but to find out what the craze and rave was all about. You see, a lot of my friends are fans of the book series, as well as the television show. Let's get started shall we?

First, there are a lot of characters, but for the size of the book series,  that's not a bad thing. I did appreciate George R. R. Martin putting the lineage for each house in the appendix. It definitely helps in keeping the characters straight.

For me, reading A Game of Thrones was good, but not great. It seemed that every time someone tried to make things right, that person was killed, not to mention innocent people in addition. The book is about playing a game to come out on top. I found myself "rooting" for the Starks just because they were the underdogs. And don't understand why Ned got beheaded when he was already on the road to dying. It seemed that deceit was a major theme in the book and while most people paid for it in the end (Ned for example), the Lannisters were the most deceitful, but always got away with it. They just seemed to get what they want. By the end, I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next with certain people and I will be reading the other books in the series next year.

Favorite Characters:
1. Ned
2. Catelyn
3. Jon Snow

Least Favorite Characters:
1. Cersei
2. Tyrion
3. Joffrey
4. Sansa


Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥



No comments:

Post a Comment