Sunday, November 22, 2015

Being Thankful

Sunday Funday - Thanksgiving Edition

I haven't posted much over the past week and a half due to family issues. On November 14, we found out that my Uncle John died after a long battle with cancer. We only knew a couple days ahead that he wasn't doing that well. That came as a shock as he always took care of himself and was health conscious. But, unfortunately, eating healthy and staying active doesn't prevent someone from getting an illness such as cancer. My uncle was 71 and the eldest brother of my father - my dad is the youngest of five, although sadly only two siblings are remaining. I was closer to my uncle when I was younger and even though I wasn't as close to him in recent years, his death came as a surprise to me and kind of threw me for a curve. You don't necessarily know how you're going to react to something (in this case losing a loved one) and honestly, I didn't really know how to react to this news. Regardless, we are all saddened by the loss of my uncle, but we are hanging in there. There was a memorial service yesterday in his state of residence that I couldn't attend, but in a couple of weeks, there's going to be another one where I and much of the family lives.

Enough of this, though.

Thanksgiving is in a few days in the US and it's a time to be thankful for what you have.

I've always said and believe that family comes first. I wouldn't know where I would be without my family and that's what I'm most thankful for. In light of what we are currently through, I am more thankful and grateful for my family. No family is perfect and mine's no different. There's been sort of a divide going on for quite awhile (extended family) and even though we may not always agree with each other, we're still family and nothing will change that. I'm still hoping that all of us can manage to move on and unite back together as a whole. If there's one thing that I could ask, it would be to really treasure the time you have with your family because you don't know how long you have with them. Yes, things happens and you may not always stay as close as you once were to certain members or there's disagreements over certain things and it breaks you apart from them, but after some time, try to agree to disagree and move on. If that does happen, things may not be the same but staying in contact and touch with all family members is something to be proud of. It seems when a generation starts dying off, the glue that bonded everyone together dissolves and it gets harder and harder to stay connected in a way. If we work at it, it is possible to maintain a solid relationship with your family.

Other than my family, I have lots to be thankful for. Here are just a few examples:

1. God - without Him, nothing is possible
2. Friends
3. Good health
4. That my heart condition is under control
5. Music - without it, I couldn't have made it through some tough times
6. Writing - I believe it's a God given talent to me and wouldn't have it any other way
7. Books - they allow me to escape into my own world and go places I never thought possible

Most of all, I'm thankful that I'm alive. It may not always be easy, but as long as I have what I need, I'm good. It's as simple as that.

I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that there are always other people less fortunate than you are, so be thankful for what you have.

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment