Thursday, November 12, 2015

More Than Friends Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge

26. More Than Friends by Katherine Spencer
      Theme/Topic: a book you can finish in a day


Synopsis:
When Grace Stanley’s older brother, Matt, died in a car accident, she wanted to die, too. But she’s slowly finding her way again, with the help of her mysterious new friend, Philomena--who always seems to show up when Grace needs her most. If only Jackson, Matt’s best friend, had a Philomena of his own. He’s fallen into some very bad habits--at the same time that Grace is falling for him.

My Review:
I randomly picked this book up one time when I was at jury duty and I was a little bored. I figured it would be perfect to finally read it for a book to finish in a day.

It's the story of a teenager, Grace,  going through a hard time after her brother unexpectedly dies. With the help of a guardian angel, Philomena, things start to get better and she is able to turn her life around. It was like she was given a second chance. It's an issue that someone could be experiencing firsthand when they're reading it.

This book is geared toward teen (although truth be told, I didn't realize that when I picked it up), but can also be good for tweens as well. Most of us are tweens/teens when we first lose someone we love, whether a family member or maybe even a best friend. If you haven't experienced a death before your twenties, you're probably one of the lucky ones.

I had been through a few deaths in my family by the time I was a teen. Saying that, though, I was fourteen when I first experienced a significant loss with the death of an uncle in 2001. It finally seemed real to me, that no one lives forever. Three grandparents died when I was really little and I don't remember it at all. The first funeral I remember attending was for an uncle when I was only six. I didn't really understand what was going on. As time went on, I started realizing what it all meant. When my uncle died suddenly in 2001, I definitely wasn't prepared for that to happen. What made it worse was that he died right before Christmas, making the funeral and burial take place right after Christmas. It was one of the hardest times I've been through. I was all over the place with my emotions, but it ended up being quite a learning experience for me, as it can be for anybody.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment