Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Oceans Apart Book Review

Writing Tuesday

I have decided to do book reviews occasionally on Writing Tuesdays.

2015 Reading Challenge

28. Oceans Apart by Karen Kingsbury
      Theme/Topic: book you own/have but never read


Synopsis:
Airline pilot Connor Evans and his wife, Michele, seem to be the perfect couple living what looks like a perfect life. Then a plane goes down in the Pacific Ocean. One of the casualties is Kiahna Siefert, a flight attendant Connor knew well. Too well. Kiahna’s will is very clear: before her seven-year-old son, Max, can be turned over to the state, he must spend the summer with the father he’s never met, the father who doesn’t know he exists: Connor Evans. Now will the presence of one lonely child and the truth he represents destroy Connor’s family ? Or is it possible that healing and hope might come in the shape of a seven-year-old boy?

My Review:
I had been struggling to write a review without using spoilers. I usually try not to use spoilers or give it all away in my reviews because I feel like that ruins the fun and joy of reading.

Mistakes happen and no one is perfect and that's what happens with Kiahna and Connor. They have basically a one-night stand when they know they shouldn't have. I can respect Kiahna's decision not to tell Connor about Max because she didn't want to destroy Connor and Michele's marriage. At the same time, I don't think it's right to not let someone know they have a child - I mean it wasn't that Connor was a bad father or would have been a bad father, it was just the circumstances that made it harder.

Michele's reaction was typical. I could definitely understand where she was coming from, despite how annoyed and frustrated I was at her throughout the story for different reasons, especially for not even wanting to hear Connor's side of the story. I know Michele would come around in the end, but also knew that they had to go through what they did to make that happen (like sending Max back. The only thing I really disliked was the way Michele tried to dissuade their daughters, Elizabeth and Susan, from getting to know Max. I feel that they should have been able to make their own decision from the beginning.

Throughout the story, I really liked how every situation taking place was explained to Max in a way that he was able to understand. Max was a strong little boy, who was able to deal with it all in his own way, without pressure to talk to anyone about how he was feeling unless he wanted to or was ready to. I feel that it was all handled well.

Oceans Apart is a prime example that everything can work out in the end, but it just takes time to get there.

Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!

♥Meg♥

No comments:

Post a Comment