Saturday, May 2, 2015

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Book Review

2015 Reading Challenge - Information found here.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
6. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien
7. The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien
8. The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien

Reading Challenge Theme/Topic: Read a trilogy
It's one category, but counts as three books since it's a trilogy and I thought it would be easier if I reviewed all three at the same time.

 
Synopsis: The future of civilization rests in the fate of the One Ring, which has been lost for centuries. Powerful forces are unrelenting in their search for it. But fate has placed it in the hands of a young hobbit named Frodo Baggins, who inherits the Ring and steps into legend. A daunting task lies ahead for Frodo when he becomes the Ringbearer - to destroy the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom where it was forged.
 
First things first. I never really got into "The Lord of the Rings" growing up. When the reading challenge list said to read a trilogy, I went with The Lord of the Rings trilogy because it's the one trilogy that we have in the house. Science fiction wasn't a genre that interested me. That being said, here's my take:
 
I thought that "The Fellowship of the Ring" went a little slow - it seemed to me to have a lot of history or backstory in it, which tends to be tedious to me. I found myself enjoying "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King" better because they had more action. There were only two things that I didn't really care for in the trilogy: the first being that I noticed a lot of foreshadowing at times so at certain points, I kind of knew what was going to happen. And the second was just that it has a lot of characters or the same characters being referred to by multiple names (like Aragorn). I found that to be a bit confusing, but it works.
 
My favorite characters had to be Aragorn/Strider and Gandalf as they seemed to be well-educated in the history of the lands and all, not to mention they both showed and had a lot of wisdom. I couldn't do favorite characters without mentioning Merry and Pippin, as well as Sam.  All three wanted and did whatever they could to help Frodo out in his journey and I credit Sam for not giving up on Frodo at all and being there until the end. What I actually didn't understand was why Frodo never got any credit for taking down Sauron when he and Sam ended up doing the most heroic efforts, with Merry and Pippin close behind.
 
Now to my least favorite characters. Of course, I have to say Sauron, but I kind of felt sorry for him a little bit at the end. The only other character I didn't like was Gollum. If you've read the books or seen the movies, I'm sure you would agree. He seemed to be so helpful and had good intentions at first, but ended up being deceitful (even though I pretty much figured he had something up his sleeve). However, dishonesty and being deceitful are two characteristics that I can't stand, along with disrespect.
 
All in all, I found "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy" to be good, but different in what I like to read.
 
Happy Reading and Keep on Writing!
 
♥Meg♥
 


No comments:

Post a Comment